FringeA-Thon 2018 Is Happening Saturday at the Piazza
Dance Your Art Out at 12 Hour Dance Party FringeA-Thon by FringeArts This Saturday at Schmidts Commons
FringeA-Thon isn’t just a fundraiser. It’s an enormous party that celebrates the power of dance to unite people of all ages and backgrounds. With Philly-favorite DJs spinning all day, an outrageous “dance mom” host, pop-up performances, dance demos, dance battles, games, giveaways, and many more surprises, FringeA-Thon is a day you’ll never forget. PS YOU HAD ME AT 80s PROM at 8PM
A variety of party-starting performers are bringing their talents to FringeA–Thon,
an epic, outdoor dance marathon and fundraiser for FringeArts –Philadelphia’s premiere contemporary performance presenter. With different dancers, DJs, performers, trainers, musicians, and more featured hourly, there’s never a dull moment at this outrageous, 12-hour party. It all goes down at the Piazza at Schmidt’s Commons on June 16th. Tickets are $35 for adults, free for children under 12 and can be purchased at fringeathon.com.
Though dancing the full 12-hours is in no way required, it’ll be hard not to move once the theme hours begin and performances get underway. Here’s just some of the fun each hour of FringeA–Thon has to offer:
– Kick-Off: The day starts off with a bang with an appearance by the Phillie Phanatic and a warm up led by our hosts, everyone’s favorite Bearded Lady and the mad genius behind Get Pegged Cabaret John Jarboe
and Virgil Gadson
of So You Think You Can Dance and Broadway’s After Midnight
· 1PM – From Ballet to Bollywood: Watch and learn from BalletX performers, and then join us for aBollywood dance class with Philly Dance Fitness.
Look for celebrity radio, TV and media personalities from around the region will make appearances throughout the day judging contests, serving as guest emcees and even dancing! Look for WOGL’s Marilyn Russell, WDAS’s Patty Jackson, Metro’s Jennifer Logue, Mina Say What and the Power Squad Dance Team, Nicole Michalik “Nik the Web Chick” from Q102 and Iheart, Gina Gannon from 6ABC and QVC, Kristen Herrman from Ben FM and other surprise guests to be announced! Plus an appearance by the Phillie Phanatic and a performances by the Super Bowl Champion, Philadelphia Eagles’ Drumline.
– Kid Dance Battles: Get ready for Kid Dance Battles (2-4PM
) with a performance by Dance Battle Master Steve Believe’s kid dancers, Hip Hop Fundamentals.
· 3PM – Beach Party: Philadelphia Spin Coalition breaks out the hula hoops! Jump into a Caribbean Hip Hop Lesson with Mel Cotton and feel those summer vibes!
· 4PM – Twist Her or Dip Her: Play Twister with John Jarboe, learn how to partner dance, and make sure you’re keeping up with Virgil Gadson’s “Move of the Hour”, so you can learn the FringeA–Thon dance by the end of the day.
· 5PM – Happy Hour: Get moving to live music from West Philadelphia Orchestra, a European folk band with a jazzy heritage.
(I love West Phila Orchestra. They just performed at PIFA and were so amazing.)
· 6PM – Half Time: Performances by the Super Bowl Champion, Philadelphia Eagles’ Drumline,Philly Phresh, a hip hop crew aged 7-17, and Old City Sweethearts, dancing to live jazz music.
· 7PM – Diva Hour: The Roxborough YMCA Senior Sixers will bring their all, fresh from the basketball court. Then, take the stage with your own FringeA–Thon team for the Diva Dance Battle!
· 8PM – 80’s Prom: Get ready to slow dance, moonwalk, and cabbage patch while you wait to find out who gets crowned Prom King and Queen.
· 9PM-11PM – FringeA–Thon Late Night: Dance the night away to beats by Cosmo Baker with performances by Virgil Gadson and G. Brunot, street hip hop crew Gungle Brothers, and voguers Xcel Dance Crew!
· Midnight – The Final Countdown: Join us for the last few moments of fabulousness, and revel in the memories of a day spent learning, exploring, playing, moving, and of course, dancing.
As if all that excitement wasn’t enough, there will be plenty of games and giveaways as well as food and beverages on site to help you keep moving all day.
FringeA–Thon is more than just an enormous party. It’s a fundraiser that celebrates artistic expression and facilitates grassroots support for the arts.
Come and dance or come and watch or come and cheer everyone on! Tickets are $35 each (or under 12 is free) and every penny earned goes towards supporting FringeArts in its ongoing efforts to bring world-class performance art to Philadelphia.
For over 20 years, FringeArts has served as a catalyst for cultural and community development and can continue to do so with your help.
For tickets, team registrations, and general information, head to FringeAThon.com.