West Passyunk Avenue (between South Broad and 15th streets) is heating up.
Newbold Community Development Corporation fires up the grills again for the 2nd Annual South Philly SausageFest on Saturday, September 10, 2016 from 12:00pm to 8:00pm. South Philadelphia’s annual sausage-themed food fest takes place along West Passyunk Avenue (between South Broad and 15th streets). Look for sausage and sausage-inspired dishes cooked up in a variety of traditional and unique styles – including vegan – from ten restaurants and eateries that are part of the upcoming food scene on the other side of Broad Street. Festivities also include craft beer from seven breweries, live music, vendors and family fun. The event, sponsored by AFC Urgent Care, will be a fundraiser for the Newbold CDC’s Street Cleaning Program. Admission is free with food and drink pay-as-you-go. Advance beer tickets and other information is available at www.southphillysausagefest.com
“After years of watching East Passyunk Avenue explode with culinary creativity, the residents of the Newbold neighborhood are now getting their chance to experience fine dining, with the recent opening of several new eclectic ethnic restaurants along West Passyunk and Snyder Avenues,” said Timothy Lidiak, President of Newbold CDC. “The Newbold neighborhood will soon reach hipster nirvana with the anticipated autumn 2016 opening of two new craft breweries – BreweryARS and Second District Brewing Company. And only a short bicycle ride away, the Point Breeze Brewing Company will soon be opening its doors as well.”
South Philly SausageFest will serve of “sausage-themed” food from Newbold and West Passyunk’s restaurants including Cafe y Chocolate, Chaat and Chai, Grubhouse, Philly Pretzel Factory, Tap Room on 19th, South Philadelphia Tap Room, Vegan Commissary, T&N Homemade Kitchen, Mike’s BBQ, and Dati’s Water Ice. Menus are listed below:
* Cafe y Chocolate – Chorizo Tostada on Corn Tortilla; Chorizo Burro (sausage wrapped in flour tortilla); Steak and Chicken Tacos
* Chaat and Chai – Chicken Sausage on Parotta Bread with Tomato Chutney; Samosa with Tamarind Chutney; Lamb Sausage on Bhatura Bread with Raita; Mango Lassi, Indian Lemonades and Iced Chai
* Dati’s Water Ice & Ice Cream – Homemade Water Ice and Ice Cream; Pizza Pretzels
* Grubhouse – Chicken Sausage Rice Bowl; Chorizo Mac & Cheese; Sausage Sandwich; Sausage on a Stick
* Mike’s BBQ – Smoked Beef Sausage Sandwich
* Philly Pretzel Factory – Sausage Pretzel; Sausage, Pepper and Onion Sandwich
* South Philly Tap Room – Chorizo Sausage with Guacamole, Pickled Onion, Queso Cotija on Martin Potato Roll
* T&N Kitchen – Italian Sausage with peppers and onions, and an Italian Roast Pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone
* Taproom on 19th – Pork and Rice Sausage Sandwich with Pickled Red Cabbage
Taps will be pouring from seven Philadelphia and regional breweries, including: Philadelphia Brewing Company, Saint Benjamin Brewing Company, Sly Fox Brewing Company, Weyerbacher Brewing Company, Evil Genius Beer Company, Forgotten Boardwalk — and new brewery – 2nd Ludlam Island Brewery. Tap lists will be released a week before the event.
The festival also includes arts and crafts as well as children’s activities sponsored by Olde City Day School, and managed by Philadelphia Family Pride. South Philly SausageFest will feature the following children’s activities from 12:00pm to 4:00pm:
* 2 Moonbounces
* Balloon Animals
* Children’s Music Show (The Lara & Joe Show) – from 1-2 pm
* Temporary Tattoos
* Sidewalk Chalk & Art
* Hool-a-Hoop Contest
* Coloring Books
Live music will be rocking all day, including:
* Griz, 12:00pm to 1:00pm (Acoustic/Singer-songwriter)
* Lara & Joe Show, 1:00pm to 2:00pm (Children’s music show)
* New Pony, 2:00pm to 3:00pm (Funk)
* Sun Hat, 3:00pm to 4:00pm (Eclectic jazz)
* The Whips, 4:00pm to 5:00pm (Garage rock)
* Gondola, 5:00pm to 6:00pm (Heavy metal/blues)
* The Blue Pharoahs, 6:00pm to 7:00pm (Delta blues)
* The Charley Few, 7:00pm to 8:00pm (Hard core punk)
South Philly SausageFest is free to attend, with food and drink pay-as-you-go. Advance tickets for beer are also available online ahead of the event – with discounts for those that plan ahead! Beer tickets are 3 for $12.00, 10 for $35.00 and 18 for $54.00. SausageFest shirts are also available online for only $15.00 each.
South Philly SausageFest is sponsored by AFC Urgent Care, along with Yelp, Mark Cement Contractors, DJCRE Real Estate, Prudential Savings Bank, Richard L. Vanderslice, PC, Caiazzo Law Offices, CityCare Pharmacy, Olde City Day School, Space & Co, AJ Appliance Company, Philly Sound Studios, Rowhome Magazine, South Philadelphia Tap Room, Philadelphia Family Pride, Magglios Sausage Company, Dietz & Watson, Philly Pretzel Factory, Brew: A Beer Boutique, West Passyunk Neighbors Association.
Proceeds from the event will benefit and fund Newbold CDC’s Street Cleaning Program in partnership with Horizon House, Inc., who provides a wide range of services for adults with developmental disabilities, drug and alcohol addictions, and/or homelessness. Newbold CDC employs its cleaning crew through Horizon House’s workforce program and puts these individuals to work in cleaning up the commercial corridors along West Passyunk and Snyder Avenues from South Broad to 19th Streets.
The Cleaning Program has been underway since early 2014 and is supported by local business sponsors including Ultimo Coffee, AJ Appliance, and DJCRE Real Estate as well as the City’s Commerce Department. Newbold CDC will use 100% of the proceeds from this year’s South Philly SausageFest to support the Cleaning Program.
ABOUT NEWBOLD CDC
The mission of Newbold CDC is to improve the quality of life within the Newbold community through commercial and residential development and by implementing programs designed to invest in the civic enrichment of the people of Newbold. For more information, visit www.newboldcdc.org.