Basically this says: Don't Even Dare to drive in this area, unless you have a lot of patience and are not in a hurry today. And forget about it Friday through Tuesday morning.
Delays can be expected and motorists are advised to avoid the area by using alternate routes, and allow for extra driving time in the areas near these festivities before and during Labor Day weekend. Please refrain from double-parking, which creates congestion, limits traffic flow and is illegal.
There are three phases of road closures associated with the construction of the Festival site that are in effect, now through Tuesday, September 8th. A detailed list of closures is below:
- Two lanes in front of the Philadelphia Art Museum currently will be closed, as needed; this change will continue through Tuesday, September 8th at 5 a.m.
- Thursday, September 3rd: The inner lanes of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway (the inbound and outbound lanes), from 20th Street to Eakins Oval, will be closed until Tuesday, September 8th at 5 a.m.
Friday, September 4th: Starting at 10 a.m., due to the closure of the outer lanes on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, traffic headed inbound (to Center City) from Spring Garden Street Bridge or Martin Luther King Drive must exit Eakins Oval on the 24th Street ramp. Traffic headed inbound on Kelly Drive must exit the Drive at Fairmount Avenue.
The full extent of road closures around the festival site will begin on Saturday at 10 a.m., and remain through the duration of the event. A complete list of road closures and 'no parking' restrictions follows:
- The entire width of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, beginning at 18th Street extending through Eakins Oval (25th Street) and behind the Philadelphia Museum of Art
- 21st Street, between Winter & Spring Garden streets
- 22nd Street, between Race Street & Fairmount Avenue
- 23rd Street, between the Benjamin Franklin Parkway & Fairmount Avenue
- 24th Street, between Fairmount & Pennsylvania avenues
- 25th Street, between Fairmount & Pennsylvania avenues
- Spring Garden Street, between 20th & 31st streets, including the Spring Garden Street
- Kelly Drive, between 23rd Street & Fairmount Avenue
- Martin Luther King Drive, between the Falls Bridge & the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- Pennsylvania Avenue, between Hamilton & Fairmount Avenues
- 2000 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, between the Whole Foods store & 21st Street (the
eastern half of the block, from the Whole Foods Market to 20th Street, will remain open to allow access to the store)
- Park Towne Place between 22nd & 24th streets
- I-676 Westbound off-ramp at 22nd Street (the I-676 Eastbound off-ramp at 23rd Street will be open)
No parking at these locations:
- Pennsylvania Avenue between 22nd Street & Fairmount Avenue (south side of street)
- Winter Street between 20th & 22nd Streets (both sides of street)
- 20th Street between Vine Street & Callowhill Street (east side of street)
- 21st Street between the Benjamin Franklin Parkway & Race Street (both sides of street)
- 22nd Street between Winter & Spring Garden Streets (both sides of street)
- Park Towne Place between 22nd & 24th Streets (both sides of street)